Since MAF began flying in South Sudan in 1950, we have seen great need, ongoing unrest and suffering, and the need for God’s peace and reconciliation.
Today, unimaginable suffering, over 2 million displaced people, continued violence, disrupted livelihoods, hunger and food insecurity threaten this already shattered nation.
Will you pray for this nation?
What can I pray for?
Please pray for the people of South Sudan, for MAF, and for the many organisations striving to meet such overwhelming needs.
The conflict has meant:
- 1.5 million people are Internally Displaced People (IDPs) living in refugee camps within South Sudan
- More than 580,000 have fled to neighbouring countries as refugees
- 85% of refugees are women and children
- 4.6 million people are currently experiencing or at risk of hunger including 650,000 people in Unity State alone.
- There would be an end to the cycle of fighting and violence so that peace and reconciliation can begin
- The Church will be courageous and spirit-filled as it seeks to minister peace and reconciliation
- The response of the international community to the humanitarian crisis will be sufficient - there are reports that food is being rationed in refugee camps due to overwhelming number of refugees
- Food aid and medical care will reach those in greatest need; the rainy season has cut off parts of the country, making access difficult
- Vulnerable women and children would be protected - tragically there have been many reported cases of the killing and abuse of children
- Those separated from family members by fighting would be reunited in a place of safety
- Those grieving the loss of family through violence, hunger or disease would be comforted
- Pray for genuine transformation in the hearts of people deep in a culture of cattle raids and revenge to peace and the will to build and develop the nation.
How can I pray for MAF in South Sudan?
- The demand for flights is stretching us to full capacity in what is already a tough environment to live and work in. Pray for strength and wisdom to discern which flights are most urgent
- Pray for safety for pilots flying in and out of areas of insecurity to evacuate NGO staff and deliver essential supplies
- Pray for wisdom to discern airstrip conditions in the rainy season
- Pray for strength for our growing team and those we partner with. The heat is relentless and stifling
- Pray for good relations with the authorities.