Today, unimaginable suffering, continued violence, disrupted livelihoods, hunger and food insecurity threaten this already shattered nation. Will you pray for this nation?
What can I pray for?
Pray that the ceasefire that came in effect on 29 August 2015 will hold and the two sides will adhere to the terms of the peace agreement. With fighting escalating in July 2016, the ceasefire is looking more fragile than ever.
The conflict has meant:
- 1.61 million people are Internally Displaced People (IDPs) living in refugee camps within South Sudan
- More than 900,000 have fled to neighbouring countries as refugees - 70,000 have fled to Uganda in the last month alone
- 85% of refugees are women and children
- 4.8 million people are currently experiencing or at risk of hunger including 650,000 people in Unity State alone.
- There would be an end to the cycle of fighting and violence so that peace and reconciliation can begin
- The Church will be courageous and spirit-filled as it seeks to minister peace and reconciliation
- Food aid and medical care will reach those in greatest need; the rainy season has cut off parts of the country, making access difficult
- Vulnerable women and children would be protected - tragically there have been many reported cases of the killing and abuse of children
- Those separated from family members by fighting would be reunited in a place of safety
- Those grieving the loss of family through violence, hunger or disease would be comforted
- Pray for genuine transformation in the hearts of people deep in a culture of cattle raids and revenge to peace and the will to build and develop the nation.
How can I pray for MAF in South Sudan?
- Uphold the MAF teams in Kenya and Uganda, supported by MAF Disaster Response Team resources, as they work together to provide help and assist our partners.
- Pray for safety for pilots flying in and out of areas of insecurity to evacuate NGO staff and deliver essential supplies
- Pray for wisdom to discern airstrip conditions in the rainy season (April - November)
- Pray for strength for our team our partners and for good relations with the authorities.