Since MAF began flying in South Sudan in 1950, we have seen great need, ongoing unrest and suffering, and the need for God’s peace and reconciliation.
Today, unimaginable suffering, over 2 million displaced people, continued violence, disrupted livelihoods, hunger and food insecurity threaten this already shattered nation. Will you pray for this nation?
What can I pray for?
Pray that the ceasefire that came in effect on 29 August 2015 will hold and the two sides will adhere to the terms of the peace agreement.
The conflict has meant:
- 1.5 million people are Internally Displaced People (IDPs) living in refugee camps within South Sudan
- More than 580,000 have fled to neighbouring countries as refugees
- 85% of refugees are women and children
- 4.6 million people are currently experiencing or at risk of hunger including 650,000 people in Unity State alone.
- There would be an end to the cycle of fighting and violence so that peace and reconciliation can begin
- The Church will be courageous and spirit-filled as it seeks to minister peace and reconciliation
- Food aid and medical care will reach those in greatest need; the rainy season has cut off parts of the country, making access difficult
- Vulnerable women and children would be protected - tragically there have been many reported cases of the killing and abuse of children
- Those separated from family members by fighting would be reunited in a place of safety
- Those grieving the loss of family through violence, hunger or disease would be comforted
- Pray for genuine transformation in the hearts of people deep in a culture of cattle raids and revenge to peace and the will to build and develop the nation.
How can I pray for MAF in South Sudan?
- The demand for flights is stretching us to full capacity. Pray for strength and wisdom to discern which flights are most urgent
- Pray for safety for pilots flying in and out of areas of insecurity to evacuate NGO staff and deliver essential supplies
- Pray for wisdom to discern airstrip conditions in the rainy season (April - November)
- Pray for strength for our growing team and those we partner with. The heat is relentless and stifling
- Pray for good relations with the authorities.